March 25, 2008

Give It To Me Baby (Uh Huh, Uh Huh)

So, I’ve been a little out of touch lately. I know you’ve all missed me terribly, and I must apologize for my absence. You see, I’ve got this thing called a two-year-old and, well, he just won’t let me blog as much as I’d like to. Of course, I’ve also got this thing called a job (which at the moment entails writing a lot of articles about two-year-olds…and working on yet another novel about thirteen-year-olds, natch)—and, well, said job pays a bit more than blogging. Not much more…but a bit!

Anyway, it’s actually a good thing I waited until today to write because the topic I’ve wanted to address is (drum roll, please)…BAD REVIEWS! You want bad reviews? Well, I’ve got ‘em baby. And one of them just came in today. You can check out these not-so-stellar assessments of Frenemies here…and here. Of course, I have to tell you I’m frankly a little disappointed in Madame Book Muncher and Le Jeune And Another Book Read. The thing is…well, they aren’t nearly harsh enough. I mean, if you’re going to say something against Frenemies, say something awful! Tell me the characters or the plot weren’t plausible or well developed enough or that I can’t construct a sentence to save my life! Tell me you couldn’t empathize with the protagonists on any level! Tell me I SUCK. (You know how much I enjoy that, right…?)

In all seriousness, though. It was kind of nice to get a couple lukewarm reviews to help me gear up for the really nasty ones I will most certainly be getting at some point. Also, masochistic as it may sound, I’m actually a big fan of criticism. You see, if it weren’t for dear old Mrs. Herring telling me my poetry wasn’t good enough for the high school literary magazine…well, I might never have fine-tuned my mad lyrical skills. Actually, come to think of it, I didn’t really try to write another poem after that. I mean, the whole thing was kind of a joke to begin with. (Frommage, frommage, frommage…c’est le mien…dommage, dommage, dommage. Impressive, no?)

Okay, let’s try that again. What I meant to say was that if Mrs. Herring hadn’t given me Bs on my Honors English papers, I never would have tried to prove her wrong by perfecting my essay skills to the point where I got As on my college humanities papers and ultimately declared a Lit/Writing major and eventually became the stellar writer I am today (not counting those lukewarm reviews, of course)! Yeah, yeah…that’s what I meant to say. My point is: When people tell you something’s not good enough, you push yourself to try harder. When people tell you something’s awesome and perfect and rad…well, how you gonna top that, my peeps?

Jeez, this whole serious thing isn’t really working for me, is it? I’m going to work on that and try again tomorrow…or sometime soon—you know, when the kid and job permit. See? My own worst critic (me!) provides just the motivation I need to kick it up a notch. And kick it I shall!

Till then…keeping talking sh&$ about me, won’t you please?

XO

4 comments:

The Book Muncher said...

yay! constructive criticism is always good. very good. just not the insulting kind....i dont like that kind. i'm glad you turned the bad into something you can improve. EVERYONE SHOULD DO THAT!!!

keri mikulski :) said...

Love this blog and your overall attitude about reviews. I'm printing it out and sharing it with the novel writing class I teach tonight.. :) Nice work. :)

BTW - I also have a two-year-old who doesn't let me blog much, write for and about teens, and write mommy articles. :) We're living the same life.

Melissa Walker said...

alexa, remind me to show you the MOTHER of bad reviews one day... i actually like to quote it often. love your take on these. xo, m

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店,