July 17, 2008

YOU TAKE THE GOOD, YOU TAKE THE BAD…

…you take them both and there you have the facts of life. Man, I really miss that show. Don’t you? But I digress. (Wow. Seriously early digression, huh? Sorry.)

Okay, so the reason we’re all here: A lot of people have been calling and emailing me to ask: “How was Rock ‘n’ Read? How was that other event thingy you did?” Do you realize what that means? None of those people were there. In fact, attendance at these major, enormo, unprecedented signings was not what I would consider to be, um, major, enormo or unprecedented. Of course all the details aren’t as sucky as I’m setting them up to be (and I do totally understand that life circumstances aren’t always conducive to attending…uh…book signings). But if you’ve ever read my blog before, you know I’m not one to sugarcoat things. SO! Let’s get right to the good times…

THE BAD: I always like to start out with bad news because, you know, I’m Alexa. So, you want nervous breakdowns? I had ‘em! Indeed, if I was enjoying the night before the Book Soup event, my husband was enjoying it just that much more. Yes, I was a basket case. Like, ready for a padded cell. Like, way more nervous than I expected to be. I even cried. Uh huh. I was that worried. That freaked. That pathetic. I don’t even think I can blame it on hormones.

THE GOOD: I felt a lot better the next morning when I figured out what I wanted to say and what FRENEMIES excerpts I wanted to read. (If this isn’t a solid case for overcoming my procrastinational tendencies—and trusting the husband’s promises that everything will be okay—I don’t know what is.) Plus, when I got to Book Soup, the first person I laid eyes on was Stephanie Kuehnert, my partner-in-crime. That settled my nerves a lot because, honestly? The girl is SO down-to-earth and sweet and mellow and just awesome in every way. SO talented. Her book is just amazing. I really miss her—and her BF Scott, who is a total pilla. I would like her to move in with me and be my BFF. Truly.

THE BAD: I totally botched my reading. Once I’d worked out what I wanted to say, I really thought I was going to be calm and cool and funny. But I couldn’t even read my own book! I mean, I was tripping over the words. Tragic. I’m convinced there’s just something inherently weird about reading fiction out loud to adults (and teens—if any had been there). So really, it’s not my fault. It’s the fault of the medium. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

THE GOOD: By the time Stephanie and I finished our readings and got to the Q&A portion of the evening, I was having a blast. (Monologue=bad, dialogue=good). I felt like I was in my element. I actually (dare I say it? Okay, I will) had fun! WOO HOO! PARTY! I also have to give a big shout-out (do people still say that?) to all my dear friends who braved the L.A. traffic, because they made the evening truly wonderful. So, thank you: JOEL YOUNG (best hose-band ever), Julie Jacobs, Rebecca Woolf, Kristen Anderson (and Steve, Frankie & Payton!), Michele Simon, Melissa O’Brien (and Rob!), Jennifer Ruden (and Jordan!), Carrie Borzillo-Vrenna (and Chris!). Okay, maybe the turnout was better than my uber-negative little mind is recalling. But whatever. Yay for these people!

THE BAD: The next day was the big Rock ‘n’ Read. YEAHHHHH! Aside from the fact that the turnout was, once again, not what I’d been hoping (although there WERE 75-100 in attendance, which is pretty darn good), this one just sucked the time and energy out of me. Stephanie and I worked our butts off finding authors, bands and a venue. We had to pull strings and call in favors with designers and web goddesses, publishers and prize pack donors. Yes, it was a lot of work. And I'm totally complaining and whining about that. Perhaps unnecessarily. I mean, it’s not like I’m fighting a war or performing major surgery or saving lives. (OMG. I am SUCH a complainer! I suck. So, that still qualifies as BAD…right?)

THE GOOD: So many cool authors. So many awesome rockers. So many wonderful friends and family members (big thanks to Laroo and Sura and Jon and Maggie and Zach and Nate!). Such amazing people at such a phenomenal venue. Honestly, the real highlight of this weekend was getting to meet and party with all these people. Plus, after reading at Book Soup the previous day, I felt a wee bit more comfortable acting as M.C. with Stephanie. Talking into the microphone became almost second nature or something. (Sort of.) All in all, it really was a great time and a great weekend and I hope you don't think I'm a horrible person for giving you the complete picture—the good, the bad, and the ugly. Because...guess what? There's more good stuff! Uh huh....

...IN OTHER GOOD NEWS: I handed in FAKETASTIC revisions on Tuesday night. It wound up being a 230-page manuscript, so I wrote a whopping 50 additional pages in the past two weeks! The plot is kind of complex, but I think it works. I’m actually really happy with it and owe a huge amount of gratitude to my phenomenally talented editors for that. I’m looking forward to their comments and the final push and introducing all of you to it in January 2009. Yippeeee!

AND ON A FINAL GOOD NOTE (see how positive I'm getting?): Jack pooped in the potty again today! But this time was even bigger (no, not in that way): He actually ran out of the kitchen and into the bathroom, did what he had to do, and even flushed the toilet all by himself. I mean, hello? The guy is only two and a half, and this is less than two weeks into potty training. I hate (hate! hate!) parents who brag, but I'm also self-loathing (as you know), and I'm telling you people, my boy is seriously talented in the dumping department (and in a bazillion other ways). And that’s pretty cool :)

XO

PS: I’ll post pictures from the weekend’s events—including the debut of my new tattoo (yes, tattoo)!—tomorrow. But on that note: If anybody knows how to get rid of a double-chin with Roxio Photo Suite, please let me know. ;-)

4 comments:

Khyrinthia said...

Rock N Read was fun. I've got nothing bad to say about it, but then again, I wasn't running it. But it was fun. Very fun.

Book Chic said...

Aw, it was great to hear about everything, and I'm glad that Rock N Read went well!! :) *hugs*

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Finally was able to read this!!! I totally felt the same way about all of it if that makes you feel better. Though I think turn-out wise we did pretty good! But I had the same roller coaster ride and the same feeling being way more comfortable when I was up there with you. Because you are awesome and funny and chill me out with your way of taking things in stride. It was ultimately so much fun. And I wish I lived closer so we could hang out more because you freakin' ROCK!!!!!

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店,